What women should know

October 1, 2008 § 7 Comments

This is a cormmecial I worked on with a number of people who work at MetropolitanRepublic.

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

§ 7 Responses to What women should know

• Tarquin says:

In the world today, focusing on empowerment within people is so important! Globalisation is such a disempowering process and yet it also gives opportunity for people to link with each other across the world. That is the opportunity to see we are all one. Finally I really get Bob Marley’s ‘one love’!!!

Universal sisterhood and motherhood is powerful force that we women must celebrate, as is the message of this presentation! Commercial is not the right word as it isn’t about a commodity or commercial enterprises… it is a message for humanity. A message to inspire.

Might I conclude by saying…Rosa Parks is one of the most inspiring women. Her ‘small’ act took immense courage which inspired so many people. SOmething we are capable of doing- and everyday that opportunity exists. Even in conversation with people we can inspire and challenge ideas that create division among people.
    Thanks!

• Olivia says:

I love this. It is so profound. My ninth grade girls should see this. It is so empowering and inspiring.

This is awesome, just awesome…

• Rita says:

That video was very moving to me. I am so proud of a man named Khaya, whom I’ve never met, for producing this video. Well done. I can’t wait to see what comes from him next.

• Princess Kaya Bavu says:

Good Morning, Can anyone provide me with contact details of Mamphela Rampela as I need to convene a meeting with her. I am staying in Cape Town at Gugulethu. I have something I wish to share with the her.

Thanking you in advance

• Snowy Smith says:

Can anyone provide me with contact details of Mamphela Rampela as I also need to convene a meeting with her.
    Postal Address?
    Please contact me
    Snowy Smith
    082-964-8877 Durban
    faircivillaw at yahoo.com

• Mercedes says:

This is an important and unergt article Siphokazi and I agree with it entirely. Indeed, scholars and documenters of African history have tended to give the masculine narrative of the story, often ignoring the contribution of the feminine despite the fact that women were right there along with the ‘great men’ as you correctly state.I think however one of the biggest problems that contributes to perpetuating the silencing of the female contributors/thinkers is that African women themselves have not taken the lead in defining and ensuring that we know their names. Past experiences have shown clearly that women in power in Africa tend not to innovate, but emulate and imitate the men who occupied those positions before they did consequently marring the positive contribution that they could have (I think one could also arguably contend that this is also not only a continental, but also a global trend, Hilary Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, Condoleezza Rice etc). I think Dr Mamphela Ramphela with all the respect that I have for her is also a typical African woman in power trapped at the ‘violent’ patriarchal centre’. I think, while her speeches in the past two years/so have agitated for a more renewed and novel emergence of female leadership and narratives/voice. I think that is why she has been criticised so much for her time at both the World Bank and as the first black female vice chancellor of the University of Cape Town (SA). She was not bold enough when she was in a position of power to introduce a new form of leadership and thinking at the height of her career – when everyone was listening to what she had to say but rather she fell into the masculine entrapment – a safe comfort zone from which she shied to move from.I’m always amazed when I read papers/articles/journals on the emergence of ‘soft-power’ as a tool in both International Relations and businesses to some extent and the authors portray this as a new novel innovation in conducting world affairs (largely attributed to Barack Obama – the masculine), when a quick browse through an anthropological textbook will demonstrate that African women employed ‘soft-power’ long before it was academically conceptualised, often opting for conversing than physical battle in conflict resolution, opting for more for forgiveness rather than retaliation, sharing than deprivation etc… I agree that “an important step to emancipatory projects by the African thinking class will have to start when the intellectual class consciously brings women into the “historical center”” but I want to go further and challenge young female and male thinkers as yourself to start shifting the centre, by not merely articulating the status qou, but by living it as Dr Ramphele correctly contends (the three ‘P’s’ cant be separated). There is strong evidence that the reason why the 3 waves of feminism failed, was not because the idea of feminism was not particularly appealing, but rather because feminism always defined itself in relation to men (consequently giving the masculine power again over the feminine). I rate therefore that intellectual, scholarly and academic produce that is curious about women will need to not shy from moving away from men and into a careful examination of the past, present and future contributions of women. Indeed as the old Frantz Fanon adage dictates: “The Master’s Tools Will Never Dismantle the Master’s House”. But this is a bold article and should start agitating for a deeper engagement with the intellectual contribution that women have, are, and could possibly make…

• Wishes to jpin Women in discussions to save the lost generation.